I’m baaaack! My trip was wonderful, and I took tons of pictures, so look for those next week. I have to say, it’s so nice to be home, and chilling with my new coworker Caspian. He’s kind of a slacker, but it just makes me look better.
I thought I’d take a moment to lay out my fears/plans, and then I will check in on a regular basis to see how it’s going. Kind of like And Kathleen, my freelance role model.
Let’s start with the good news!
* Grow my Etsy shop exponentially.
It should be no surprise that handmade objects take a while to make, and I simply haven’t had the time to work on stuff like that recently. That doesn’t mean that I haven’t been thinking about it, however. I came up with a huge list of products I’d like to make, and now that I’m in the mindset, I can’t stop thinking up fun ideas that expand beyond just cards. Since I’m still growing my freelance business, I have the time to really plan and execute products for at least over the next year, and that’s what I want to work on first.
* Redesign my website.
This website design was never meant to be a permanent one, but it’s another thing that I have let slide. Let me tell you, it is way harder to design something for myself than it is for someone else! I’ve made at least 10 drafts of a website design, and I haven’t been satisfied with any of them. But it’s more important than ever that I am representing myself the best that I can, so this is something that is on the top of the list.
* Streamline the not-fun aspects of freelancing.
By this, I mean billing, estimating, contracts, invoices, and taxes(eep!). I know they won’t be scary once I learn more about them, but it’s totally intimidating to think about now.
* Become a better blogger.
I love blogging. I’ve done it for years, and I want this blog to not only be a place to showcase and discuss design, one of my favorite topics, I also want to document my designer life. (Not designer like Gucci, designer as in I am one.)
* What if I become a shut-in and don’t ever talk to anyone except for David/my family again?
* What if nobody is interested in hiring me?
* What if I never wear real clothes again?
* What if I can’t find any good music to listen to and the silence slowly drives me insane?
* What if I become a crazy person who talks to her dog like he’s a human? (Oh wait..)
* What if I cut my finger off with an X-acto and slowly bleed to death because I can’t get to the phone in time? (maybe I should get a life-alert?)
You may laugh at my fears, I won’t blame you. I kind of am. Kind of. Either way, you can bet I’ll let you know how it goes, and I guess I can’t be too much of a shut in as long as I have my friends in the computer.
Have a great weekend!