Transitional months are always a little tough for me. I want so badly to live in the moment and enjoy what I’m experiencing.. in this case, summer, but I’m also always looking forward to the season ahead. I have work really hard at staying in the present, and not fantasizing about the future, aka birthday/halloween/thanksgiving/fall time!
I have, however, given myself permission to think about my fall wardrobe. As someone who suffers from the classic lots-of-clothes-but-nothing-to-wear syndrome, my problem stems from the fact that when I shop, I buy one or two nice things, and then wear them until I’m sick of them. So I really do have maybe two outfits that are appropriate for my everyday life, and a uniform of yoga pants. The time has come to make a change.
Of course, I could just go out and buy some clothes (and uh, not blog extensively about what I want to wear, but where’s the fun in that?) but instead I decided to make it a Project.
I want to sew or make the majority of my new fall clothes. I realize this sounds ridiculous, given the success of my last two sewing projects, but hear me out.
1. I am crazy.
2. Momtha has agreed to guide me along my first couple of projects, and she says that once she explains stuff to me it will get way easier.
3. It’s hard to find clothes that fit correctly. I can make clothes that actually fit me.
4. Give a girl a pair of pants, she will wear them to death – teach a girl to sew, and she can make as many pairs of pants as she wants. I seriously wore like 1 pair of jeans all last winter. It’s time to be a grown up and change that.
Here’s my wish list:
1. Pants that actually fit me – pants that are not just jeans.
2. Some blouses that I can wear with jeans and look a little more polished, or dress up to look ‘work appropriate’.
3. Some comfortable clothes that I can wear on my days when I’m just bumming around the house, but are a step up from pajamas/workout clothes. I’m thinking slouchy sweaters, long tees, stretchy pants.
4. Cute dresses! I’m a sucker for a good dress, and I already have some patterns I’m ready to tackle.
5. To be honest, the absolute most luxurious thing I can think of is to have 2 sets of 7 identical workout outfits – one for every day of the week, one set for hot weather, one set for cold weather. I always gravitate toward my favorites anyway, so why not have a fresh set of what I feel best in for every day? It’s prohibitively expensive (for me – I’m allergic to spending money on things I sweat in) to buy it new, but I could probably make them, right?
6. An anorak. Cool models on Pinterest look awesome in them, and I can too.
7. A new winter coat. I am obsessed with coats, and I have two kinds in mind – a winter white belted peacoat, and a cowl coat, like this, but in blue.
Best case scenario is that I end up with a bunch of outfits that look awesome and I gain a whole new skill set. Worst case scenario is I end up with some hot messes and I’m on my way to gaining a new skill set – either way I’m excited to try. I’ll be keeping you all posted on my progress – but I look forward to many hours with the sewing machine!