Wreath Fail

diy magnolia wreath

So remember the wreath I was so proud of? About a week after I placed it on our front door, it crisped up like a piece of bacon. Every lush leaf shriveled, and the rosemary turned dry and gray. “Happy Holidays”, said our front door, “It’s the thought that counts, right?”.

Wrong.

It’s taken me a little while, but I finally came up with a new wreath. I really didn’t want to spend the money on a pre-made wreath because I’m cheap, and we don’t have the room to store something, but I also was too disheartened to try to recreate our previous wreath. I found a foam ring at Michael’s, and an idea was born. I snagged some magnolia leaves from a nearby tree, because they are basically made of leather and even if they get super dried out they’ll look almost exactly the same, and I just did a simple overlapping, fish scaly pattern. I was poking the leaves in the foam and wrapping them with wire like this:

diy magnolia wreath

But after I took the picture, I realized they’d hold even better with tape, so I started doing that instead. I like how it’s still kind of asymetrical and wild looking, but much fuller and circular. I also like how the red ribbon pops off the green.

This is the last wreath I will be making this holiday season. BAM!